This page is a part of LynnHistory.com. Not for Commercial
use. All rights reserved. Lynn & Nahant
Lynn & Nahant
- One of the foremost undertaking establishments of Lynn is that of H. L.
Richardson, which is located at No. 170 Union street, and commands a wide
patronage among the leading families of this vicinity.
undertaking parlors, which he accepted. He continued in this business as
assistant, up to the time of Mr. Mower's death, which occurred October 13,
1917. He then succeeded to the business, and has since conducted it alone,
with constantly increasing success.
LINCOLN D. ROBBINS - Among the well-known automobile garage service men of Massachusetts is Lincoln D. Robbins, who since 1905 has lived in Lynn, and for several years has been president of the Oxford Garage, Inc., probably one of the largest businesses in that line in Lynn.
Lincoln D. Robbins was born in Norwood, Massachusetts, July 21, 1875, son of Charles W. and Mary A. (Rhoads) Robbins, the former still living. He was for many years a bank cashier. Lincoln D. is one of the three children, sons, born to Charles W. and Mary A. (Rhoads) Robbins, and he grew to manhood in his native place, attending the public schools of Norwood, and eventually graduating from the high school, in the class of 1895. Soon thereafter he went into the machine shop of H. D. Plympton, at Norwood, and during the next five years, which were all spent under the same employer, he learned the trade of mechanical engineering. For a further five years he was a mechanic with various concerns. In 1905 he came to Lynn and then established the garage known as that of Robbins Brothers, at No. 197 Broad street. The company was reorganized later, and took corporate existence under the name of L. D. Robbins & Company, Inc. As such, the business was conducted until 1915, when the Oxford Garage Company was organized and incorporated. The present corporation is composed of L. D. Robbins, president; G. V. Sawyer, vice-president and treasurer; and P. F. Malloy, clerk. Since that time the business has grown considerably, and the garage is now probably the most modern as well as the most extensive in the Lynn district. It is equipped with the most up-to-date appliances, and three floors afford a space of about 35,000 square feet. In addition to repairs and service the company carries a complete line of supplies, and has one of the largest sales rooms in Essex county. The building is owned by Mr. Robbins, who is a wellknown and successful business man. He is a high ranking Mason, his affiliations extending to the Shrine; and he also belongs to the Oxford Club, of Lynn.
Mr. Robbins married, in 1907, Aimee, daughter of Frederic and Ida (Peabody) Stocker, of East Saugus, Massachusetts. The father of Mrs. Robbins was a brick manufacturer there; he died in 1920. Mr. and Mrs. Robbins have two children: Frederick S., who was born in 1908; and Lincoln D., Jr., born in 1912.